My experience in a FCCLA competition

Maria Gutierrez, Contributor

On Saturday February 9, 2019, six Hueneme High School students participated in a FCCLA ( Family, Career and Community Leaders of America) competition in Orange County. As a part of the school’s YES Academy, we felt this event to be a great experience. We competed in the category Child Development where we created a lesson plan that we believed is important for the ages three to four to know and also meet their standards. Our lessons varied from puppets, singing, display boards and pop up books.

Books used for lessons:

• “The Wide Mouthed Frog” (Fatima Diaz)
  • “Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See?” (Esperanza Gonzalez)
  • “Pete the Cat I Love My White Shoes” (Maria Gutierrez)
  • “There Was an Old Lady Who Swalloed a Fly” (Isabel Panfilo)
  • “The Three Little Pigs” (Brenda Nieto)
  • “The Hungry Caterpillar” (Evelin Zaragoza)

After we all finished our presentations, we patiently waited for the judges to evaluate and grade us. Meanwhile, we ate and got time to explore the campus in which it took place. When all the different categories finished presenting, we all met in the performing arts building for the awards ceremony. That’s when all six of us found out we made it to state competition.

1st place: Maria Gutierrez

2nd place: Esperanza Gonzalez

3rd place: Evelin Zaragoza

Names from left to right: Evelin Zaragoza, Isabel Panfilo, Brenda Nieto, Maria Gutierrez, Fatima Diaz and Esperanza Gonzalez

This experience has inspired me to try new things, because you don’t know what you can do until you try! I’m very glad to have participated and it was all thanks to my friend, Esperanza Gonzalez, who convinced me to do it.

We will now prepare for state, which will take place in Riverside, CA in April.

Picture credit: Ms. Ida

Featured Image: Google