Tips For Your Freshman Year Of College

Courtesy:http://www.thebluediamondgallery.com/handwriting/w/welcome.html

Elisa Mendoza, Contributor

1. Go to all orientations.
    The faster you learn your way around campus and around all the red tape the more at ease you’ll feel, and the better prepared you’ll be when issues arise.
  2. Get organized.
    In high school, the teachers tended to lead you through all of your homework and due dates. In college, the professors post the assignments  often for the entire semester and expect you to be prepared. Buy an organizer, use an app, or get a big wall calendar whatever it takes for you to know when assignments are due.
  3. Go to class.
    Obvious, right? Maybe, but sleeping in and skipping that 8 am class will be tempting at times. Avoid the temptation. Besides learning the material by attending classes, you’ll also receive vital information from the professors about what to expect on tests, changes in due dates, etc.
  4.  Find the ideal place for you to study.
    It may be your dorm room or a cozy corner of the library, but find a place that works best for you to get your work done while avoiding as many distractions as possible.
  5. Be prepared to feel overwhelmed.
    There’s a lot going in your life right now. Expect to have moments where it seems a bit too much. As one student says, be prepared to feel completely unprepared. The trick is knowing that you’re not the only one feeling that way.
  6. Make connections with students in your classes.
    It expands your network of friends and is a crucial resource at times when you have to miss a class.
  7.  Make time for you.
    Be sure you set aside some time for activities that help you relax and take the stress out of your day or week. Whether it’s yoga, watching your favorite television shows, jogging, or writing in a journal, be good to yourself. And give your brain a break.
  8.  Take advantage of the study resources on campus.
    Just about all colleges have learning labs and tutors available. If you’re having some troubles, these resources are another tool available to you. Another idea: form study groups.
  9. Get involved on campus.
    A big problem for a lot of new students is a combination of homesickness and a feeling of not quite belonging. A solution? Consider joining a select group (and be careful not to go overboard) student organizations, clubs, sororities or fraternities, or sports teams. You’ll make new friends, learn new skills, and feel more connected to your school.
  10. Meet with your professors.
    Speaking as a professor, I can assure you there are only upsides to getting to know your professors, especially if later in the semester you run into some snags. Professors schedule office hours for the sole purpose of meeting with students — take advantage of that time.
  11. Get to know your academic adviser.
    This is the person who will help you with course conflicts, adding or dropping courses, scheduling of classes for future semesters, deciding on majors and minors. This person is a key resource for you and should be the person you turn to with any academic issues or conflicts. And don’t be afraid of requesting another adviser if you don’t click with the one first assigned to you.

Credit Source:https://www.livecareer.com/career/advice/jobs/first-year-success