The Voyager

Mr. Loughrie’s Autism Class

Autism is a disorder that affects social interaction and communication. The person’s mood can change very quickly. Senses could also be altered.

Parents can notice signs of autism in the first 3 years of a child’s life. Autism affects every person differently. This disorder is caused by genetic and environmental factors.  People with autism have difficulty expressing their feelings. People with autism are as real as a person can be and we should embrace these fellow Vikings.

The instructor, Mr. Loughrie gave me a task to do, showing how some simple tasks are difficult for kids with autism. He told me to wear welder’s gloves and to put beads through a shoe lace. The task was much more difficult than it looked. I can now understand  the frustrations students with autism experience.

The kids play different types of games to help them socialize, and manage their actions. This also aids them in focusing on the tasks they need to complete, while also having fun.

The students each have a schedule. They remove stickers and put them to the side.When they are done with a task. The students also get play money for tasks they have accomplished. The money they earn is used for computer time.

The kids in Mr. Loughrie’s Autism class enjoy a walk to the track and field where they can run and play. The staff will start a program in which the kids will be able to interact more with other students to make them feel more comfortable and make new friends. I believe these programs will help the kids feel more welcomed at school.

The kids are very smart, completing tasks where they point out street signs where they can cross or can’t. Other signs like one-ways, do not enter, stop signs, etc. are places the students are taught not to cross or enter.

I believe with the help of everyone at HHS we can expand the student’s capabilities. The students get very happy and motivated when they make new friends. I was very glad to have the opportunity to work with the instructors and students.

Picture Credit: Ernie Aguilar