The student news site of Hueneme High School

The Voyager

My Musical Journey

illustration of music background in doodle style

vectomart - Fotolia

Miguel Angel Guzman, Contributor

Back when I was very young, I didn’t understand music and I thought it was something boring. I would attend my siblings’ band concerts and I would get bored. I wouldn’t even listen to today’s pop music. So how did I end up getting so involved with music?

Trumpet

The trumpet was the first instrument I ever learned how to play. In my middle school, there was a band program and I wanted to join because all of my siblings had done it. I originally wanted to play the xylophone, but I ended up choosing to play the trumpet. This has probably been one of my best decisions ever.

I continued playing the trumpet throughout middle school and even in the high school marching band. I wanted to try out something new, so then I joined the school mariachi. Shortly after, I joined a private mariachi group outside of school and it helped me become a better musician and plus, I get paid!

I have also used the trumpet for the church choir, like the Coro Tepeyac for the Virgen of Guadalupe Novena and the Bilingual Choir.

Piano

A long time ago, I remember that my sister got a keyboard for one of her birthdays. She would occasionally use it, but I would sometimes grab it just for the fun of it, making more noise than music.

When I started playing trumpet, I was learning about notes and I started figuring them out on the piano as well. I couldn’t do anything really complicated, but I was able to do simple songs on the piano. By the time I reached 7th grade, I was able to play some songs using both my hands.

The piano has helped me understand a lot about music. Knowing how to play the piano somehow makes learning other instruments a lot easier. It allows you to see everything from a large perspective.

I have also used the piano for the church choir.

Bass Guitar

In high school, I joined the Jazz Band and instead of playing trumpet, I wanted to try something new, so I played the Bass Guitar.

I learned to read bass clef better and who doesn’t like a bass? Since I didn’t have my own bass guitar or amp, my father eventually bought me a bass guitar and an amp.

I don’t use the Bass Guitar as often as I do with the trumpet or piano, but I have used it for the Children’s Choir at my church.

Acoustic Guitar

I always wanted to learn how to play guitar. No matter how many times I tried, it just seemed like I couldn’t play the instrument.

When I had joined mariachi, that’s when I started to play guitar more and more until it finally because easy for me. I’m not an expert at guitar, but I can play and sing a song. I use it more as the alternative and more portable option rather than the piano.

Alto Saxophone

The saxophone always caught my attention and one day my father bought one off a friend that was selling one. I started playing on it and I was able to get it pretty quick. Like I said, once you know at least one instrument, it makes the rest easier. This is the instrument I use the least.

Singing

I never imagined myself to be singing at all. During my childhood years, I would occasionally sing like when we would go to church and when we played Rockband at my house. However, about when I turned 12, I didn’t sing anymore. The fact that I didn’t listen to music with lyrics didn’t help either. All I would listen to is instrumental music.

When I joined mariachi, I was given a song to sing and I was hesitant, but I eventually agreed to singing the song. I had a bit of trouble, but then after the first song, the rest isn’t as bad. I don’t think I’m the best singer, but I don’t believe I’m the worst either. Thanks to a good ear, it helps me sing notes in the right pitch.