The student news site of Hueneme High School

The Voyager

A Farewell From Coach King

Emilio Castaneda, Editor

Hueneme Alumni and current P.E teacher Coach King is sadly set to retire this year. He has spent over 40 years at Hueneme as a teacher and as a student. I was able to ask Coach King a handful of questions to see what the future lies in store for him in his retirement and along with him reminiscing about his favorite memories of being here at Hueneme.

• What is your favorite memory when you were a student at HHS?

As our senior prank in 1973, we hoisted a Volkswagen beetle and put it on the cafeteria roof. This task was performed by athletes from all sports. We were all very tight and supportive of each-other in these days. Harmless fun…  

• Favorite memory over the period in which you spent teaching here?

Greeting and teaching the OPPORTUNITY Program for 28 years. The program was for attendance,  behavioral, and at risk-students. My schedule was period 1 from 9:15 to 1:00. I taught all subjects. My job was to find the diamond in the rough and do my best to return them to regular classes. We had a lot of success with that. intelligence redirected in a positive way is an amazing thing.

• Do you have any hobbies if so what are they?

I enjoy playing golf and I love to fish. My wife and I live in a trailer on a lake for two months in the summer. This is in Lac la Biche, Alberta, Canada. I’ve got pictures of fish plastered all over my area in the P.E office. Sometimes they’re in the frying pan half an hour after they’re caught. That’s Fresh Food.

• If you could give advice to yourself when you were younger what would it be?

Work hard now and play later. Prepare yourself with options by sucking up education. Remember that education is not just book-smarts. It’s any knowledge that will help you get somewhere in life. The key is to not have to kill yourself working hard when your older. If you turn it around and play now, you’ll pay later by having to work hard when your older for a lot less money. There is no law that says that you can’t have fun in life and still take care of business. So, Work hard, experience it all, and have no regrets.

• Do you plan on taking any trips during retirement?

I’m retiring at the end of this year, but my wife has to work three more years after that. She’s already told me that I can’t do to much without her. So Europe, Australia, and the Alaskan cruise will have to wait awhile. She is allowing me to go the Baseball Hall of Fame. This is a trip I will take with my buddy Coach Welker whom I coached the baseball team with at Hueneme for 20 years.

• What is the one thing you are most proud of?

That’s easy. My three daughters Laura 26, Jenna 23, and Amy 21. They all have the best of two worlds, Dad’s athleticism and Mom’s intelligence. They all earned softball and academic scholarships to their schools which saved us a fortune.

• Favorite sport to coach and play?

I am a baseball guy through and through. I was lucky enough to have success as both. I actually have the winning record as a pitcher here at HHS. It was 31 wins, 8 losses in three years pitching for varsity. I was first team all league all three years and league MVP as a senior.  As a coach, our teams here at HHS failed to make the playoffs only a couple of times out of all the years I coached. We were fortunate to have a great kids who had great work ethics. That turned into a lot of wins.

• What would you like to tell your fellow teachers before you leave?

Teaching is difficult but not thankless. Our job is to help mold quality young adults out of kids. Just like our teachers did for us. Sometimes those lengths aren’t exposed until long after a kid graduates. So, be patient and don’t give up on the kids. They deserve  your best. My quote ” I am easily and naturally doing small things consistently in strategic places creating a major positive impact.”

Final Regards,

Much of my life has been spent at Hueneme High School. I’ve been here as a student, teacher, and coach  for over forty years. The time has flown by. I’ve learned learned a lot and passed on most of it. That’s how life is, you’re the student, then you’re the mentor. Enjoy both of the experiences and never take them for granted.

– Coach King

1 Comment

One Response to “A Farewell From Coach King”

1. Natalie Dempsey on May 1st, 2017 11:06 am

Coach King! One of my favorite colleagues! We are all going to miss you, but happy you get to enjoy retirement. You deserve it!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• A Farewell From Coach King

Interviews

Meet Vanessa Bibiano

• A Farewell From Coach King

Interviews

Interview with Mikaella Dela Cruz

• A Farewell From Coach King

Interviews

Interview with Richard Cavazos

• A Farewell From Coach King

Interviews

Interview on Andre Chico

• A Farewell From Coach King

Interviews

Interview with Colleen Castellon

• A Farewell From Coach King

Interviews

Meet a Senior: Brianna Izquierdo

• A Farewell From Coach King

Interviews

Interview with Ulisses Ambriz

• A Farewell From Coach King

Interviews

Meet Yvonne Estrada

• A Farewell From Coach King

Interviews

Learning A Little More About NJRTOC

• A Farewell From Coach King

Interviews

Let’s Meet our Health Clerk

A Farewell From Coach King