The student news site of Hueneme High School

The Voyager

Spring Cleaning Tips

Lucy Magana, Contributor

Spring is in the air! You’ve successfully shed your clunky winter boots and bulky down jacket and you instantly feel lighter and brighter. But how’s your house holding up? It’s time to cut through the clutter and do some deep cleaning.

Not a cleaning fan? We all get a little lazy sometimes but you can make the process a whole lot easier with this two-step spring cleaning guide. First, you’ve got to get your head in the game by doing a little pre-cleaning prep, and then get straight on what to buy, where to start first and how to get organized to spring clean in record time.

Step 1: Get mentally prepared to clean.

Before dumping everything in your closet into a big pile on the floor, take a minute to visualize how you’d like your living space. Once you know how you want to set up your space, you’ll more easily be able to decide what you need in terms of storage and tools.

Believe in yourself (yes, seriously).

Staying organized boils down to learning new habits. The most challenging part for post people is when the old habit has been killed but the new habit is not locked in place. Let’s say you’ve decided to file all of your papers away in a cabinet but then you start to get anxious that you’ll never be able to find anything. Trust the new habit of being able to find it.

Step 2: How to deep clean your home.

Make sure you have the right cleaning tools. Divide projects into 15-minute blocks so you’re less likely to stop and never restart.  First, check the pantry to make sure you have the basics and give your vacuum a test drive. Your best choice might be high-quality microfiber cleaning supplies  The cool thing about microfiber is that it picks up the germs and holds onto them until you throw the microfiber back into the wash. They make mops and cloths for specific surfaces like glass and stainless steel and everything is washable.

Store things based on how often you use them.

Speaking of bins, be careful where you store them. Sure, you bust out those Christmas decorations every December — but why do they take up prime real estate in your closet?

Sanitize your sponges.

The germiest item in your home is sitting right there in your kitchen sink. Yep, it’s your sponge. Add one part bleach to nine parts water and let your sponge sit in it for a minute. Then, rinse the sponge and use it to wipe down your countertops. Unfortunately, this step isn’t just for spring. It is recommended to cleaning your kitchen counters, along with your refrigerator, stove and cutting boards at least once a week to help keep your food space germ-free. Same goes for the bathroom sponges, too.

Start with your bedroom (your allergies will thank you).

A good spring cleaning ritual should really start with where you snooze. When you get into bed, your sheets become home to constantly-shedding skin cells, hair, lotion and sweat — as well as anything you’ve picked up during the day. All of these nasties can seep into your pillows and mattress, too, if you’re not diligent. Wash your sheets at least once a week and getting a mattress protector. This will prevent the outside from going in and the inside from going out.

Use the washer and dishwasher as your secret cleaning weapon.

A fast fix for dust or dirt? Toss your curtains, quilts, table clothes and throw pillows in the dryer for 10-15 minutes. The heat will kill the dust mites and the dust will go out through the exhaust. Another lazy hack? Clean and sanitize everything from oven and dish drying racks to light switch covers in the dishwasher.

Clean your microwave by simply turning it on.

Heat a cup of equal parts water and white vinegar in a glass measuring cup and microwave on high for 5 to 10 minutes. The caked-on crud will come up with a simple swipe of a sponge.

Source:

http://www.housebeautiful.com/lifestyle/cleaning-tips/advice/g601/spring-cleaning-tips/?slide=2