The student news site of Hueneme High School

The Voyager

Jack & Jack – GONE

Alejandro Vieyra, Contributor

GONE is the new EP from pop-rap duo Jack & Jack, consisting of Jack Gilinsky and Jack Johnson. It was released on May 26, 2017 on iTunes and consists of five songs. This is their second EP, the first one being Calibraska released in 2015.

The duo first teased pictures on social media and posted snippets of the new songs one day before it was released. What I like about the album apart from the songs is that it tells a story in the way it’s organized.

I like all the songs equally because they all have different meanings, so today I’m going to break them down for you.

1. Distraction- This is a bit of an ode to the girl. She’s been hurt before but he wants to be with her. He’s saying he wants to be her distraction and can do whatever she wants.
  2. Falling- After being her distraction, he’s now realizing he’s really fallen fast for her and she’s all he’s thinking about.
  3. Last Thing-The two lovers don’t want to complicate their relationship. They just want to have a good time with each other, but the girl is starting to feel the consequences of her last relationship which is affecting this one badly.
  4. Hurt People- The relationship is now fading. One of the reasons is because the girl was hurt in her previous relationship, and is continuing this cycle of people hurting their partner. The boy was crazy before from falling for her and now he’s going crazy cause she won’t make up her mind.
  5. 2 Cigarettes- This song depicts the failing relationship between the singer and the girl mentioned previously. She’s done so much damage to him it’s driving him to smoke cigarettes, which he doesn’t do, because he wants to alleviate the pain.

Also, about a week after the EP’s release, the duo released a movie for the songs. The movie shows a visual/music video of each song and shows the making and failing of their relationship. Check it out for yourself!