The student news site of Hueneme High School

The Voyager

Trump Revealed Classified Information to Russians

Lucy Magana, Contributor

President Trump revealed highly classified information to Russian officials during a meeting last week at the White House.

The meeting included Russia’s ambassador, Sergey Kislyak, and Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov. The disclosures were first reported by the Washington Post, which cited current and former US officials who said the information was considered so sensitive that some details had been withheld from American allies and was restricted within the US government.

Two US officials who were briefed on Trump’s disclosures last week confirmed to the veracity of the Washington Post report, with one noting that “it’s far worse than what has already been reported.” The official was referring to the extent of the classified intelligence information Trump disclosed to the Russian ambassador and foreign minister.

The information Trump shared included intelligence on an ISIS plot that had been passed to the US by a partner, which was not identified. But Trump’s disclosure was considered a potential blow to the intelligence-sharing arrangement, and White House officials reportedly moved quickly to contain the fallout.

At least one member of the Senate Intelligence Committee was briefed on Trump’s disclosures, an intelligence committee staffer said. Sen. Mark Warner, the ranking Democrat on the committee, was not briefed, according to his office. Other members of the committee also said they did not receive a briefing.

A CIA spokesman declined to comment when reached by BuzzFeed News. The official referred requests for comment to the National Security Council, which did not respond to requests for comment.

Following last week’s meeting, the White House said on May 10 that Trump spoke to the Russians about ending the conflict in Syria and reining in the Assad regime, as well as controlling Iran. Ukraine and the Middle East also came up at the meeting, the White House said.

As news of the revelations spread Monday, top administration officials huddled in the White House, where reporters could hear yelling emanating from the presidential residence.

The Washington Post, however, did not report Trump shared intelligence sources or methods with Russian officials, but rather the contents of the information gathered.

“This story is false,” Dina Powell, the deputy national security adviser, said. “The president only discussed the common threats that both countries faced,” she said.

Though Trump’s alleged revelations to the Russians prompted widesead condemnation, the disclosures were probably not illegal.

Source:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trump-revealed-highly-classified-information-to-russian-foreign-minister-and-ambassador/2017/05/15/530c172a-3960-11e7-9e48-c4f199710b69_story.html?utm_term=.9fb3276dc573