10 Facts about the Human Brain
Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.
Email This Story
The human brain is the most complex organ in the human body. Scientists have even said that it is the most complex creation in the entire universe. The brain makes every single person who they are; it influences everyone’s personality because it stores all experiences that the person has had. It is the command center for all things that we do, for example your brain is what is allowing you to read this article. Here are some facts about your amazing brain:
- The human brain is the only organ in the human body that lacks nerves despite the fact that it acts as the central command for the central nervous system. This simply implies that, the human brain feels no pain.
- The human brain consumes the largest portion of the total energy that is generated in the human body. To be exact, the brain consumes 20% of that energy despite the fact that it only represents only 2% of the total body weight. The energy is very important for maintaining healthy brain cells and fueling nerve impulses.
- The number of neurons in the brain is approximately 100 billion which is about 15 times of the total human population on earth. This high number of neurons increases the processing ability of the brain.
- The human brain is the fattest organ in the human body.
- The neocortex is the portion of the human brain that is responsible for language and consciousness. It makes up approximately 76% of the human brain.
- It is believed by many that human beings use less than 10% of their brain. This is a misconception because each and every part of the brain has a known function.
- During early pregnancy, neurons have shown to multiply at a rate of 250,000 neurons per minute.
- About 15-20% (750ml) of the total cardiac output is directed to the brain every minute.
- The energy consumed by the brain which is approximately 25 watts is enough to illuminate a light bulb.
- The human brain is not as perfect as it is thought of since in many instances it has been found to fool human beings making them to perceive things differently from the reality.